Monday, April 11, 2011

Taking my own advice

I am always telling my other mama friends to take care of their mama selves. Seriously. I am constantly nagging people about it some might say. (I prefer to say that I gently nudge, but that's just me.) It is important, though. We know it is. It's like on an airplane. You have to put on your oxygen mask first and then tend to the children. Motherhood is like that. We have to take care of ourselves so that we can take care of our children. Yeah, well, I learned that lesson now. I have been ignoring some nagging pain in my hips and pelvis for quite some time. Ahem, over 2 years to be exact. Yes, here and there I've sought treatment only to give it up for various reasons mostly related to the cost of said treatments. If you ignore a health problem, it tends to get worse. It got worse last week, Thursday afternoon to be exact. I simply sat down to eat lunch with my four wild and wonderful children when "Sproing!" my back started hurting. Ok, so it didn't make a sound, but I do believe sproing is the sound it would have made. I stood up only to realize that I could not stand up. Now, a normal person who takes her own advice, would think this would be a good reason to seek treatment for the nagging hip/pelvis/now back pain. I didn't. Thinking it would go away, I waited. Finally, after needing my loving man's help to get out of bed and across the hall to the toilet, I gave in and called for help. I'm on the mend now, feeling a lot better but still not 100%. I'd say I feel 25% (over the 10% I was feeling). I would like to say I have learned my lesson. I hope I have. Now I'm thinking about what else I've let go along the way, what other activities I've given up so that I can do x, y, or z for my wild and wonderful children. I'm making a list. I need to be well emotionally, mentally, and physically in order to be the mother my children need me to be. I'm working on that. What is on your list? How do you keep yourself feeling nurtured?

No comments:

Post a Comment